Monday, June 8, 2015

Please Don't Stand in Front of Me | Confessions of a Wedding Photographer



Ahem.

The topic of much controversy & debate.

Should you go unplugged at your wedding?

My stance is... EH.... I'm on the fence.

>>>

One part of me feels like so long as your guests respect that you just paid me a decent chunk of change to do my job & not to stand in front of me, I don't think it should matter.

But the other side of me, the side that doesn't particularly enjoy telling people to move out of my way... says unplugged makes so much sense.

I have been recently (or actually, on ALMOST every wedding for that matter... ) placed in positions where I had to request that people step to the side so that I could get a portrait. & I always find that although I mean well, I inadvertently come off as passive aggressive. Or at least in my head I do. Because blending manners with a demand to tell someone what to do who doesn't know you just seems like a recipe for disaster.

Now just because some people could read this and be curious who I'm discussing, this is over the span of several weddings and anything I've photographed recently - I had full acknowledgement that there would be someone else there taking portraits along side me throughout the day, so just to be 100% clear - this was not people who had been delegated the task/job of taking pictures.

& also : For the record, I AM NOT MAD!! (Had to capitalize that so it's clear that I'm only discussing my thoughts here.) I get being in the moment & excited, etc.

I can assure you, I have never asked anyone to move out of my way for ANY of these reasons:

1. I have some kind of personal vendetta against you, a stranger, whom I've never met before.

2. I'm just that pretentious and don't want you photographing at all.

3. I, for whatever reason, decided I don't like you.

<<<

If you know me, you know this is not true.

THAT SAID, here ARE the reasons I've asked you to move:

1. You're in my shot & the couple will be buying my pictures... and since you probably won't be present at the meeting that consists of me having to explain to my customer why I wasn't able to get a photograph I was hired to take a picture of, please move.

2. My camera, almost always, is significantly more powerful than yours, as is my experience using it - if I miss the shot & you get it, it does the couple little good. (Sorry, it's just truth. I do this for a living & have several years of hard work under my belt learning how to photograph properly.)

3. 9/10 times the couple NEVER sees your portraits, so your photographing them to keep for yourself does little good for them or me who actually is there to get portraits for the couple.

4. As a photographer, it should be basic knowledge that I am doing my job at this event, so in a sense, if I don't come to your job and get in your way... don't come to mine. Or I guess, just imagine for a second that a stranger came in to your job & just started doing your job with you, essentially rendering you to do yours properly?

>>>

Here's the thick of it:

OCCASIONALLY - there's only one chance to get the shot. I'm an exceptionally detail oriented photographer, I look for specific things about my clients that I recognize as a part of them: faces they make, gestures they do, small moments created. This means that at almost ALL times they need to be the primary focus in front of my camera, so if you're standing in front of me with your iPad, 4 mpx digital camera, cell phone, entry level DSLR .... it is nearly impossible for you to be able to provide the same quality portrait I could for my client & I swear I will LITERALLY cry if I miss an epic portrait because of you.

That said, I hate placing myself in the position to have to state this. As a business owner, we are consistently marketing ourselves and while photographing an event, this is no exception - so I don't necessarily enjoy being telling people to scram.

(Actually, I typically find the bridesmaid with the biggest mouth & have them do it. :D haha. True story!) 

But I digress, because hindsight is 20/20 & there's never going to be pure satisfaction.... as Mick Jagger would say, there would be a lack there of. Because I've photographed unplugged weddings and the guests thought it was my idea like I was some kind of dictator photographer against the present generation that likes to photograph literally EVERYTHING they're doing, eating, looking at, thinking about ... etc.

Not at all. I like portraits. Especially the ones I've been hired to take.

<<<

So I guess, my final resting place on this subject is that.... IF you are attending a wedding, perhaps consider just enjoying the experience. You're there with your family and friends missing an opportunity to create memories with them that we were already paid to photograph for you - I'm sure even if you ask nicely, you could share the portraits and your experience from the photographer themselves.

Actually, I'd be beyond flattered if you shared the professional photos from our event with your family & friends!!

Anyway... In short. We got this.

www.crystalbroussardphotography.com

xoxo - Crystal Broussard







No comments:

Post a Comment