Sunday, July 19, 2015

Jill & Andrew | St. Patrick Catholic Church, Iowa City | Sheraton Hotel, Iowa City


J i l l  +  A n d r e w
7.18.15


This will be another book, you've been warned.

I don't know how intelligent it is to provide some background information on my mindset going into this wedding, but in order for me to provide a full spectrum of my perspective .... I think it's the only way that I can speak candidly & not feel I'm faking this post.

I was nervous going into this wedding. This week had been... well, for lack of a better term: awful. & although we like to say things like "Leave your personal life at home! Blah blah blah." (& for the record I did.) That task can be easier said than done, especially when life throws things at you that you couldn't even have possibly comprehended you'd be dealing with.

But, I guess.. maybe this is the proof that.... I CAN leave things at home?

I honestly do not want to write too much because I certainly do not want this to be the highlight of Jill & Andrew's post by any means. So, I'm going to try in as few words as possible to get it out & then move on.

In a nutshell, I attended a visitation to a close relative's young son who passed on Thursday & then literally, within hours of leaving there I found that a lifelong friend (may as well have been family) passed away very unexpectedly. When you have a bond with someone like that and one day they're just ... gone... it can be a hard pill to swallow. Not to mention that it just felt like insult to injury after having to watch a family member bury their 21 year old son.

Needless to say, it was rough & in many ways... this is still a pretty open wound, so it's still tough.

But, I knew that I had to get into the right mindset for this wedding. For a number of reasons, but mainly because I wanted everything to run smoothly & I did not want to allow a difficult time to overshadow any aspect of my job because even still.. yes.. at the end of the day, you do have to lay things aside and put your game face on.

How lucky was I though that I would be photographing in an absolutely breathtaking church with a very laid back couple?

In many respects, this was a very traditional wedding. They weren't interested in a whole lot of portraits outside the church & their main goal was to enjoy their day as opposed to taking up the bulk of their day photographing. Which is completely okay with me, as far as vendors go... I'm the one (other than a videographer, if hired) that spends the bulk of the day with the bride & groom... so I'm already capable of capturing what is going on, without it having to be a production. They knew exactly what they wanted for portraits & that's what we did. So if you notice there are not a whole lot of creative portraits of this couple, it's because that wasn't the primary focus & that's okay.

As far as the ceremony itself went, I can hands down state that this was one of the most religious ceremonies I have attended. I have photographed many a Catholic wedding in my time & in fact, I personally enjoy the length of a Catholic ceremony because it gives me time to photograph. But, this was one of the first weddings in which I second guessed standing up when everyone else was sitting down. There were a few moments in which I thought to myself "I really don't want to seem disrespectful right now!" I'm always respectful of church rules anyway (I wouldn't dream of passing the pues or going on the alter) & I even introduced myself to the Bishop personally before the ceremony & got the okay on how I would photograph... there is just something about being married by a Bishop that really made me feel like I should sit down a second and listen to what he had to say.

So there were actually a couple times in which, I just sat down and took in the ceremony. Something, I never do.... ever. Even if I respect the rules, I am also there to do a job - so I really just do what I need to do & appreciate things for what they are. But something about being in that church & the entire way in which the ceremony was... was just really eye opening, to say the least.

Or maybe I am saying the most? I warned you this would be a book... not sorry.

In any case, I actually am babbling a bit, so I will get to the portraits.

It was a beautiful wedding & I am so grateful that Andrew & Jill chose me as their wedding photographer. You guys looked absolutely stunning, everyone in your wedding party was so pleasant to work with & I hope you enjoyed your day because it was beautiful. Oh & Andrew, I may as well just apologize one more time for calling Mark your dad! oops!

Also. the chicken was pretty delicious, thank you for setting up a plate for me! ... I snuck off my whole foods vegetarian diet (I just started it, so it's okay) for that meal & I am not at all ashamed!

Thank you for inadvertently (& without knowledge) helping me see what's important during a difficult time.

XOXO
Crystal Broussard

VENDORS

Photographer : Crystal Broussard Photography
Church : St. Patrick Catholic Church, Iowa City
Reception: Sheraton Hotel, Iowa City
Dress: Storybook Ending, Dewitt IA
DJ: Unique Events
Flowers: HyVee - Iowa City

& finally, (if you didn't scroll past that), the pictures!!
























Wish you a life of happiness!

Thank you again!



No comments:

Post a Comment