Sunday, July 12, 2015

Kari & Kyle | Saint Mary & Mathias, Muscatine | Mariott, Iowa City

K a r i  +  K y l e
7.12.15

www.crystalbroussardphotography.com

Two words: Murphy's Law.

Now before you stop there and start going "Did she really just say that?" Hear me out, because this story has a happy ending.

I've photographed nearly fifty weddings in my career thus far as a wedding photographer & this wedding took the cake on things that could go "wrong", though some surprises were of course a blessing, they were surprises none the less.

So cut to the morning of the wedding. It's pouring rain & the forecast all week had consistently stated that Saturday would be free of rain, well until about 24 hours before the wedding that is. I woke up Saturday morning cursing Mother Nature because even though I can photograph in the rain, I really really prefer to not have to.

Before I got to the wedding, I didn't realize that my bag of SD cards was opened... dumped the entire contents into my purse on accident & thought "Oh no, we are not doing this today." I got to the church and thankfully was the first to arrive, so I could dig out the 20 SD cards that had made their way into the contents of my purse.

Luckily for me, that was as far as my woes went. Actually, I think I did great on yesterday's wedding... if I'm being honest, but sometimes you have to be the consistent force of "It's going to be okay" on a day like yesterday.

So about 10:00-ish I receive a text from the bride. Her sister-in-law has gone into labor & her brother is a groomsmen. What's more is that this baby wasn't due until the middle of August, so no one saw that coming! But from what I know, he arrived a little early & is a perfectly healthy baby boy! So congrats to Craig & his family on the new addition!

It seemed like nothing else could happen after that. Right?

Wrong.


On the way to the reception, I'm driving behind the party bus and suddenly he starts going about 35 in a 55. So, because this is Iowa I'm thinking "Okay, there must be a tractor/combine/something-farm-related in front of him & that's why he's driving like it's Sunday." No... the bus was breaking down.

Now, ironically the entire ride to Iowa City I was thinking "We should stop at a corn field & take some pictures." Well, wish granted (kind of) because we ended up stopping in front of a corn field. & while we all tag-teamed to keep Kari from crying (which by the way, I think we did a good job at) - we also decided to take advantage of the situation & do some portraits while we waited.

Through all of this, Kyle rolled with the punches. It's this attitude that I think helped keep Kari composed because it was a pretty stressful series of events. This provides insight to their sort of yin & yang relationship, they really work together beautifully. Not only that, the entire wedding party - especially the bridesmaids - kept the situation light-hearted. No one lost their cool, everyone handled the situation beautifully & THAT is the way it should be!

Atmosphere reflects everything, I promise this! & this was a very supportive group of people. Before I left Kari & Kyle's wedding, I told them both that - that not only did they handle the day gracefully, roll with it & make the best of the situation, they were also VERY lucky to have such supportive friends & family.

& shoot, now look at the story you have to tell!?

Once again, thank you SO much for including me in your day.
Everything worked out & you guys have been wonderful to work with!

Let's check out these pics, hmm?

xoxo

Crystal Broussard
































No comments:

Post a Comment